Today, online background checks have become a vital component of any decision-making process, be it professional or personal. Whether developing personal relationships, hiring a new employee, or developing partnerships, it is essential to know the person or group one is dealing with.
Background checks online examine both private and public records of an individual or candidate to ascertain if they are being honest about what they claim. Employers perform background checks to hire honest workers with credibility, while in the personal realm, it is about preventing any dishonest people in their lives. People want to work with only those who they can trust and form ethical partnerships and relationships.
When performing online background checks, three are some crucial points to consider as follows:
- Use only reliable sources – While professional networking sites and social media platforms are a good starting point, one should always Rely on reputable sources for your background checks. Keep away from any unverified sources, as it is very easy to spread misinformation online
- Follow multiple sources- It would be a mistake to rely solely on one source to get the information as you will remain restricted to limited information about an individual, which may be partially true. Thus, always cross-check information and use multiple sources to verify the accuracy of the information
- Adhere to local and national laws- Always keep legal and ethical considerations in mind when getting information about an individual. One should focus on accessing information that is relevant to the purpose and avoid intruding on any privacy to uncover the information
- Avoid outdated information- As online information can be stale or outdated, what you may be looking at need not be recent and relevant to your purpose. Any details, histories, and personal information are liable to change over time and thus try to find recent information
- Verify critical details- Getting useful and credible insights from online information is of utmost importance. Thus, use official channels to verify critical details, especially when dealing with a person’s financial history and criminal records
- Be aware of protected attributes – Information regarding race, religion, gender, and disability is seen to be irrelevant for the purpose of the background check. So, avoid looking for those aspects as it can lead to accusations of discrimination as these are protected characteristics. Ensure that the information matches the identity accurately to avoid any confusion
- Always seek permission- When conducting online background checks, it is necessary to seek consent from the individual or person, who could be your employee, tenant, or others. Be clear on the purpose behind and what kind of information you are looking for. That can reassure you and the other person that there is no risk of any trespassing of personal space
- Remain neutral and stay objective- It is of utmost importance to gain and interpret the information you seek based on background checks with an open mind. Remain neutral, and do not shape your judgments without any verification of facts. Confirmation bias can be removed with the help of an open mind and verified facts
- Use professional services- It is always a good idea to use professional background check services to gain comprehensive and accurate results. A reputed professional background check service is likely to be more proficient and can deliver a more accurate and thorough report because that has access to a wider range of databases
Keep the above aspects in mind when conducting online background checks, follow ethical guidelines, and maintain objectivity to prevent any violation of privacy rights. Every individual deserves to be treated fairly and respectfully when being examined for background checks.
Featured image credit: pressfoto/Freepik