When speed is of the essence, you don’t want to spend hours of your life reading long articles just to get to the parts that are relevant to you. That’s where a summary generator comes in – an AI-powered tool that’s able to “read” the piece for you and create a summary of its key points.
These tools aren’t just handy for navigating web content and getting to the most important parts of papers and articles. They’re also handy for your pieces as you can use a summary creator to simplify your writing. With these 20 tools, you’ll have your pick of summarizing AI designed to simplify complex content.
Here are our top 10 summary generators:
- HIX Summarizer – Best Summary AI Overall
- Narrato – Best Summarization Tool for Presentations
- Notta – Best Summary Creator for Videos
- Quillbot – Best AI Summary Writer With Paraphrasing
- ChatPDF – Best PDF Summary Generator
- Paraphrase Tool – Simplest AI Summary Tool
- Resoomer – Best Essay Shortener Tool
- Inksprout – Best Summary Generator for Videos
- Summarizer – Best Free Summary Maker
- PrepostSEO – Best Summarizer for Sticking to a Word Limit
HIX Summarizer – Best overall summary AI
Providing complex content simplification in a breeze, HIX AI Writer Writer’s summarizer tool is designed for quick and effective content interpretation. The tool crafts condensed content encompassing all critical elements, catering to time-efficient content consumption and research processes.
Uniquely, it not only summarizes text, documents, and articles but also YouTube videos and webpage URLs, expanding its utility to visual content as well. The summary generator requires a simple upload or text pasting and offers output as concise bullet points or fluid paragraphs, tailoring the results to the user’s desires.
Efficiently delivering well-structured and coherent summaries, the HIX Summarizer from HIX AI Writer is a practical tool that can streamline your content consumption experience.
Though HIX.AI has a free tier, it only provides you with 3,000 words of GPT-3.5 content summarization. Assuming you do, packages start at $29.99 per month for the “Basic” tier, rising to $59.99 for the “Pro” tier – giving you access to higher word limits. You can also pay $129.99 per month for access to the entire HIX.AI toolset and unlimited GPT-3.5 words.
- Summarizes various information types.
- Offers precise video-to-text summarie
- Can summarize content from the webpage using a browser extension.
- Might not capture all nuances.
- Requires stable internet connection.
Narrato – Best summarization tool for presentations
A newcomer to the summarization tool game, Narrato was launched in 2022 with a focus on providing handy summary tools for the workplace. It’s at its best when summarizing the content in long presentations as it’s able to extract the key points to serve as takeaways for your team.
Beyond that, the tool can also create content – perhaps expanding on the generated summaries when needed – and includes an AI-powered writing assistant for further editing. Sadly, it’s a touch on the expensive side, especially if you have a smaller team and can’t make full use of its features.
Narrato’s monthly plans start from $52 per month, which gives you 280,000 characters of AI writing and up to four users. Its “Business” tier delivers unlimited summarization for $100 per month, and there’s a custom tier for enterprise users.
- A superb paraphrasing and summarizing tool for presentations
- One of the more versatile AI tools on the market
- Comes equipped with several customized content templates
- Limited integrations with other software
- Not ideal for small teams due to its cost
Notta – Best summary creator for videos
As a speech-to-text software, Notta already stands out for its ability to use natural language processing (NLP) to interpret audio content and transcribe it into text. But one of its lesser-known features is that it can create summaries of that audio, distilling it to its key points. In addition to making this a handy tool for summarizing YouTube content, it also makes it ideal for creating minutes and notes for audio meetings.
However, this focus on creating and summarizing transcriptions means it’s not a shortened paragraph tool. Users can’t input their writing to have Notta summarize it for them. The tool only works with the transcriptions it creates.
You get access to Notta’s summary generator when you subscribe to its “Pro” plan, costing $13.99 per month. Its “Business” plan offers more features – and increased members – for $59, with custom pricing also available for enterprise companies.
- Speech-to-text tools offer 98% accuracy
- Single-click summarization of its transcripts
- Generates action items in its meeting notes
- Only capable of summarizing its transcripts
- Additional costs for the Google Chrome extension
Quillbot – Best AI summary writer with paraphrasing
Though better known as a paraphrasing tool – and that paraphrasing is leveraged when it creates its summaries – Quillbot is also capable of distilling paragraphs into their key points. The free version of the tool allows you to summarize up to 1,200 words, which is enough to give you a taste of its capabilities before you upgrade.
Users can set the length of their summary from short to long using a handy slider. Plus, the tool’s output can be arranged into paragraphs and key points.
A monthly subscription to Quillbot costs $19.95, though you can reduce this by paying annually. A full-year plan costs $99.95, which works out to $8.33 per month.
- Paraphrases as well as summarize your content
- Can summarize Word documents uploaded into the tool
- Free to use for 1,200 words
- The summary generator length slider is vague about its potential output
- “Key Sentences” are often just copied content broken up into bullet points
ChatPDF – Best PDF summarizer
ChatPDF keeps things simple – it only allows you to drag and drop PDF files into the tool for you to summarize. That can make it limiting to many users. You’re unable to copy and paste web content or get summaries for other document types. But this focus on a single file type lends the tool a simplicity that you won’t find with many other summarizers.
It’s smart, too, thanks to the built-in AI chat assistant also allowing you to query the tool about the contents of the PDF you’ve uploaded. Plus, it can translate PDFs into multiple languages, though its output in that regard isn’t as solid as you may like.
The basic version of ChatPDF is free to use. However, you can upgrade to ChatPDF Plus for $15.99 per month, giving you access to unlimited PDF summarization.
- Ideal for extracting information out of PDF files
- Free to use, with no sign-up required
- Can shorten text inside a PDF and answer queries related to the content
- Limited to PDFs only
- Prone to hallucinations or incorrect readings
Paraphrase Tool – Simplest AI summary tool
Paraphrase Tool does what it says – paraphrases your content via a simplified user interface that makes it especially useful for AI beginners. But if you check its “Mode” drop-down box, you’ll also see a handy summary tool that’s capable of pulling the key points out of longer pieces of content.
It’s not the best AI summary generator around, especially as it has a habit of focusing more on paraphrasing than it does on extracting the most important information. But its single-click operation and ability to summarize paragraphs up to 3,000 characters give you a taste of what an AI summarizer can do before you invest in another tool.
Paraphrase Tool’s monthly plan costs $7.99 per month, which gives you access to 20 styles of paraphrasing and generation of 500 paragraphs per month. Buying an annual plan for $59.88 cuts your monthly costs to $4.99.
- Allows you to summarize up to 6,000 words with the creation of a free account
- The tool can also expand, smoothen, and grammar-check your copy
- Capable of summarizing in dozens of languages
- Needs Premium to access more useful tools
- Sometimes confuses summary creation with paraphrasing
- Resoomer – Best Essay Shortener Tool
Resoomer – Best essay shortener tool
After raising $450,000 over two rounds of seed funding, Resoomer established itself as an academically focused summary maker in 2017. Though it works with almost all types of text, it excels when providing summaries for complex studies and essays, allowing students to distill their research sources down to their key points.
The tool allows you to upload documents and copy text into its browser-based tool, with a single click giving the main facts from the piece. The base tool is free, too, though you have to pay a monthly fee for more advanced summaries.
For a one-time payment of €9.90 (approx. $10.56), you get 200 “Quotas,” with each offering 5,000 characters of summary generation. Whenever you need more, simply purchase extra Quotas – there’s no monthly subscription with Resoomer.
- Features browser extensions for Chrome and Firefox
- Intelligent enough to summarize complicated texts
- User-friendly interface
- Some of its strongest summarization tools are locked behind a paywall
- Only works on 500 characters daily in the free tier
Inksprout – Best summary generator for videos
Inksprout separates itself from other summary generator tools because of what it can do with the summaries it creates. Beyond giving you the key points from an article, it can also use AI to generate videos around those points that you can upload to YouTube, social media, or your website.
These bite-sized videos are part of its wider social media-focused offering, with the tool also being capable of generating ad copy and coming up with posts for most social platforms.
The Inksprout summary generator has a “Free” plan, though that limits you to 15 summaries per month. Upgrading to “Pro” nets you 150 summaries for $19.99 per month, or you can get 1,000 summaries per month with the $99 “Premium” plan.
- Integrates with many social tools, including SproutSocial and Zapier
- Uses AI to create videos from its summaries
- Takes less than a minute to summarize and create a video
- Videos are fairly simplistic
- The free tier limits you to 15 summaries and six videos per month
Summarizer – Best free summary maker
Summarizer has a lot going for it considering it being a free tool. It allows you to adjust your summary length using a handy percentage-based slider and lets you upload files to the tool as well as copy and paste text. You can also tailor its output so your summary is delivered in bullet points or a set of one-liners.
Unfortunately, it’s not the best at providing summaries for every piece of your content. It has a strange habit of simply deleting parts of your original text, rather than summarizing the whole piece, to hit its word count requirements.
Summarizer is completely free to use as it supports itself with on-site ads.
- Allows you to extract the best line from your text
- Extremely easy to use
- Set summary length from 0% to 100%
- Lots of intrusive ads on the website
- Sometimes delivers a portion of your original text back to you and calls it a summary
PrepostSEO – Best summarizer for sticking to a word limit
Founded as a general SEO toolkit in 2014, PrepostSEO offers a handy summarizing tool that gives you more control over how much content it delivers. You can ask it to output a summary based on a percentage of the original content or specify a word count to which you want it to stick.
It’s fairly versatile, too, with the tool offering 12 languages in which it can create summaries. Plus, it links you to its free plagiarism and grammar checkers directly inside its output, allowing you to confirm that the content it produces is ready for publishing.
Prepost SEO has three pricing tiers, though all give you access to its summary generator. The “Basic” plan costs $10 per month for 5,000 queries, with “Standard” increasing that to 25,000 queries for $20 per month. Businesses may prefer the “Company” plan, which delivers 75,000 queries for $45 per month.
- Can summarize the text in several popular languages
- The choice between a basic summarizer and an AI-powered one
- Its “AI Summarizer” limits you to 1,500 words
- Annoying reCAPTCHA only goes away if you pay
The diverse selection of summarizing tools currently available has significantly revolutionized the writing sphere, catering to the various needs of writers, students, researchers, and content consumers alike. These tools, each with advantageous features, help to optimize time usage, foster quick understanding, and enhance research processes.
One standout, contributing approximately is the HIX Summarizer. Unrivaled in its versatility, it not only synthesizes text, documents, and articles but also extends its services to YouTube videos and webpage URLs. This efficient and adaptable tool from HIX AI Writer ensures well-structured, coherent summaries with a simple upload or text pasting, making it an all-encompassing solution for the modern content consumer.
However, like all technological tools, it may have its share of limitations like potential nuances oversight and reliance on stable internet. Despite minor setbacks, it’s clear that the evolution of summary tools, with HIX Summarizer leading the revolution, offers countless opportunities for enhancing writing and content consumption.
Feautred image credit: Surendran MP/Unsplash